Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I want to incorporate my company but wonder if an llc for…

Customer Question
I want to incorporate my...
I want to incorporate my company but wonder if an llc for now is ok.
I want it to appear more powerful as I am building a buisiness and in the middle of a brand change.
I have an LLC from before.
Now I want an INC. but with another name.Can I use INC. without actually incoporating or will it be impossible to collect fees for services and products? Do I need to Incorporate. How much is the fee for that? First time? Annually?Also, with the LLC that I have. Can I change the name of the LLC and use the new name under that instead? I hope this is clear. Thanks you.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
3/27/2018
Business Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 3 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer:

• I want to incorporate my company but wonder if an llc for now is ok. I want it to appear more powerful as I am building a buisiness and in the middle of a brand change. I have an LLC from before.
    • From the information you have provided it would seem an LLC would be sufficient. There are few people that believe that a corporation is "more powerful" than an LLC. For example, Best Buy is an LLC and would hardly be considered weak.
  • Can I use INC. without actually incoporating or will it be impossible to collect fees for services and products?
    • Not only would it not be possible, you would also be violating the law and could face fraud charges for claiming the company is a corporation when it is not.
  • Do I need to Incorporate. How much is the fee for that? First time? Annually?
    • In order to answer this I would need to know what state you are in. However, you can simply do an internet search for "[state name] secretary of state corporation formation fees".
  • Also, with the LLC that I have. Can I change the name of the LLC and use the new name under that instead? I hope this is clear.
    • Yes, you can change the name of your current LLC and use the current LLC. You could also alternatively just file a fictitious business name (DBA) registration for the LLC. This filing allows you to have the LLC use a "nickname", which would be the new name you want to use.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can "Opt Out" and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.
Perfect. Thank you.
Business Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 3 months ago

You're very welcome.

Did you have any follow‑up questions or need me to clarify anything? If not, please do not forget to rate my services at the top of the page (hopefully 5 stars), otherwise I get no credit for helping you today.