Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

We have a for profit booster club that needs its own

Customer Question
We have a for...

We have a for profit booster club that needs its own business license with the booster club being the owner - not a person. We also need to be able to open a bank account which I think means we need a EIN. What would be the best way to accomplish this? I am wondering if we obtain a State of Alaska Business license, an organizational one with the booster being the owner. Can we then start an LLC with the Booster Club being the owner? The reason being is that the board members will come and go and do not want their name as being responsible on the LLC.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?

We have not created it yet, we are in the State of Alaska

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Nothing has been filed

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Business Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 3 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: The booster club would need to be a legal entity registered with the state, such as a corporation, LLC or a partnership. If it is not registered with the state, it cannot own the membership interest in the LLC. Ownership of an LLC requires either an individual or a registered legal entity hold the membership interest.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can AOpt [email protected] and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.