Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I own a business. When I do a search online for my business,

I own a business...

I own a business. When I do a search online for my business, information pops up about us, but also shows a listing for mapquest with a really low star rating. When I click on the reviews to read them they are reviews for a different company not ours. I have contacted the several times with no reply, what can I do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Contacting them and asking to have the false information rmoved, twice.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I can only imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you. The first, and unfortunate, thing to know about companies like this and online reviews is that it can take longer than it should to correct or revise erroneous information. That said, it sounds as if you have reported the situation twice. I assume you used MapQuests online submission for that purpose, but just in case, I am attaching that link here: https://help.mapquest.com/section/201035764

They also have a tweet a rep chat function that may result in a more live response. Scroll down here and just click to Tweet a rep - https://help.mapquest.com

If that is where you submitted the requested correction and are still not getting a response, another option is to write a formal letter outlining the steps you have taken to correct the information, that no correction has occurred and that if the information is not corrected by a specified date, you will be forced to consider other action. Mapquest mailing addresses are a little tricky to find, but I did find a couple that would be a good starting point: Mapquest Denver,***** 3rd Floor, Denver, CO 80202; Mapquest Pennsylvania, 1090 N. Charles St., Lancaster, PA 17603. Or you could send the letter to AOL, which I believe still owns Mapquest - AOL Corporate Office, 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003.

As I mentioned, these types of corrections often take unreasonably long, particularly given the impact an incorrect negative rating can have on one's business. Thus, it is worthwhile to consider contacting as many offices and contacts as possible in writing. Calling in follow-up to the letters or at the same time may also be helpful.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Attorney