Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

A "friend" bought $600 of tools and a used car from us. He…

A "friend" bought $600 of...
A "friend" bought $600 of tools and a used car from us. He sold the car for $3000. He gave us $2000 and kept the rest. He has made no effort to pay the balance in the last 9 month. There is no signed contract, but there is a full list of items sold, as inventoried by another party and verified by him (but not signed). He has made 1 $25 payment. I have a recent text message where he acknowledges he has items from us and owes us the money. He currently is not working but will be getting a job. He doesn't stay unemployed for long. Please advise.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
legalg
legalg, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear that you have been betrayed; what state is this in please?

Wisconsin
No phone call necessary. Thanks.

There are several ways in which a contract can be formed:

1. oral contract- basically a verbal promise. Testimony and witnesses can help establish an oral contract, as well as partial performance (partial payment of funds due, partial services rendered, goods delivered, etc)

2. implied contract-the court reviews the actions of the parties to see if there is an implied contract - similar to the evidence in #1 above.

3. written contract- this is the "traditional contract" where it is drafted and then signed and dated by both parties; it can also exist from a compilation of texts, emails, writings, etc.

Now to be a binding contract there must be:

1. offer

2. acceptance

3. meeting of the minds (intent to contract)

4. consideration (value given/received; a change in one's legal position).

Small claims is appropriate for disputes under $10,000 - please see:

https://www.wicourts.gov/publications/guides/smallclaimsguide.htm

So a promise to repay a loan can result in a judgment for the amount still owing. The judgment creditor can then collect by seeking a wage garnishment, or levying bank accounts and other property.

Since a judgment affects one's credit report often a demand letter prior to filing can result in the person paying the debt, to avoid litigation.

How do I write a demand letter.

This is a different state but it still prepares a demand letter for money and can be used as a guide:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/11145.htm

Otherwise one can find templates on line; basically it states the demand: what the basis for the demand is (breach of contract) and the money owing; then it generally requests money by X date (usually 5-10 business days) and if not received by then the sender may then file a lawsuit.

I think he is moving to Wyomong soon. WHat effect will this have.

Generally the person needs to be served in the state where one wishes to file the legal proceeding; so if the defendant may move the sooner they are served the better;

then the court may exercise jurisdiction so if they fail to appear the court may enter a default judgment (automatic judgment for plaintiff based on defendant's non appearance) and then the new state court can enforce that judgment.

If he moves and we file in Wyoming, there WE would need to be in Wyoming to go to court?

Yes, that is correct; which is why most people will try and file in their home state before the defendant moves.

OK. THanks for now.

You are most welcome; good luck to you on this.

Take care.

If no further questions kindly rate 5 stars to help maintain my customer satisfaction score-thanks!

legalg
legalg, Attorney