Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

We are planning to open a one doc medical practice in

manhattanCurrently one MD to open...
We are planning to open a one doc medical practice in manhattanCurrently one MD to open a medical practice but have specialist rotate through practice (revenue share or rent or Salary)
A medical practice in NY can only be opened as a PLLC? Or any other faster way
How can non MD own multiple practices in manhattan -- but they can employ MDs across the practices
How come there are medical practices in NYC that are not PLLC or PC, how are they structured or allowed to operate?
Could there be an advantage of holding company to minimize liability (understanding that malpractice is always there)
Why”Medical” name has to be added to the name
Assuming while the PLLC is being approved by Dept of Ed, could the credentialing start? Within the 8 week period
The name sign does not have to list PLLC?
Is DBA allowedWhat are you fees and most expedited method of creating one.
3/26/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Only licensed professionals may set up a professional service corporation (PC), a professional service limited liability company (PLLC) or a registered limited liability partnership (LLP) if they want to be incorporated. Generally, licensed professionals may not set up a general business corporation (GBC) to provide professional services. There are a number of exceptions to the general rule prohibiting the practice of the professions by an entity that is not specifically established to provide professional services such as a professional services corporation. For example, hospitals that provide health services pursuant to the public health law or entities established to offer optometry, ophthalmic dispensing, massage therapy, pharmacy, speech-language pathology and audiology services.

Under NY law, a general business corporation may not provide professional services to the public; exercise any judgment over the delivery of professional services; have employees who offer professional services to the public; hold itself out as offering professional services; or share profits or split fees with licensed professionals.

The name Medical or Dental or whatever is added to the PC or PLLC to signify the type of professional services provided by the corporation.

You can begin getting credentials during the 8 week period. You cannot use a DBA unless you are a general business, which you would not fall under.

A holding company cannot hold a professional corporation I am afraid. That would come under the corporate practice of medicine.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What you are suggesting is the non-MDs cannot open a basic LLC to set up medical practices in Manhattan?
would using your service make a difference in setting it up, or once approval has been granted to set up PLLC would you services come in handy?
Ely, Attorney
Phone call session started

Thank you for your reply.

A non-MD cannot manage or run a medical practice under NY law.

We cannot legally represent anyone from this site I am afraid.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney