Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I own a corner shop in Venice Beach California. I rent bikes…

Customer Question
I own a corner...

I own a corner shop in Venice Beach California. I rent bikes and surfboards. A company started called the bird,( they came from Uber) they rent stand up scooters. You walk up,use your smart phone scan an app,climb on and ride. After they’re done they just leave the scooter anywhere sidewalk street your front yard. Its not legal to leave or use a power vehicle on a public sidewalk.They pay people to charge them at night time at their house or garage and then the people put them back out on the sidewalks in the morning for rent. They have no brick-and-mortar location whatsoever. Their workers are putting them on my business doorstep in front of my shop every day! After people ride them. they put them on the sidewalk in front of my shop every day it’s killing my business. The city of Santa Monica fined them $300,000 already. My shop is in Los Angeles.How can it be legal to base your business on the public sidewalk? And what can I do? Isn’t this an oligopoly or monopoly at the very least it’s unfair business practices! I need help what can I do? Take action in state or federal court ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I am meeting with their Government relations guy next week. I sent them two messages asking about partnering with me. Butno response

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
3/26/2018
Business Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You need to file complaint with the City of Los Angeles. If the City of Santa Monica has fined them for the exact practice, then it is likely that the City of Los Angeles would do the same thing.

They would be better off working and partnering with you since they are already leaving the "bikes" at your "doorstep" to avoid the potential fine.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thanks. I may do that but I see how the city of Los Angeles works. There is little to no leadership here. They will say they will do something but nothing will actually happen in the end my business will close. Is their business practice fair business and legal? Isn’t it an oligopoly or monopoly? I’m thinking of filing in federal court may be the only way to recoup my losses.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks. I may do that but I see how the city of Los Angeles works. There is little to no leadership here. They will say they will do something but nothing will actually happen in the end my business will close.

Response 1: Do not be so pessimistic. All is not lost. You can still prevail.

Is their business practice fair business and legal?

Response 2: It is not fair. However, only the City by fining or not fining them can make the determination of the legality of the business practice.

Isn’t it an oligopoly or monopoly?

Response 3: Unfortunately, no because you can do the same thing if you have the means to do so until the City makes a determination of the legality of the enterprise.

I’m thinking of filing in federal court may be the only way to recoup my losses.

Response 4: This may be a "Hail Mary Pass."

Best wishes,