Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am a tax preparer,I have a PTIN (no other credentials). I…

Hello, I am a tax preparer,I...
I am a tax preparer,I have a PTIN (no other credentials).
I would like to incorporate my business.What would be better for me to open:an LLC or an S Corporation?(I will be the sole owner,,self employed tax return preparer).
Also,i dont understand sonething about LLC.is this same as Sole Proprietorship?
3/25/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Basically, as a single member or shareholder, the entities carry the same tax benefits and shield to personal liability (though, a state entity does not protect you from professional liability).

The main difference is that the LLC is more flexible and easier to set up. The formation is not subject to as many forms.

All you really need is the Arts. of Organization.

So, I generally favor the LLC.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Can you provide a link to incorporate into an LLC in illinois? I tried https://www.ilsos.gov/corparticles/But I didnt see the option to select LLC.
For my LLC,can I be my own registered agent snd use a PO Box addrrss for mail?Thank you!

You can be your own registered agent, but a registered agent can not use a P.O. box.

The RA needs a physical address for service of process.

I included a link in the original answer for Illinois Articles of Organization.

Simply fill it out and send it to the Sec'y of State's Office, along with the $150 filing fee. That will create the LLC.

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney