Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

My husband and his partner were developing some kind of

Hi. My husband and his...
Hi. My husband and his partner were developing some kind of technology together. They were able to make one prototype. They received the patten for the technology with both of their names on it. But I know for sure that guy didn't even lift a finger. I have to prototype in my custody. Now the thing is my husband passed away few days ago suddenly due to a massive heart attack. That guy have been calling me and asking me for the prototype. What should I do here ? My husband died so suddenly he was still young so non of us thought of having a will.
3/25/2018
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. The answer to your question is unfortunately not clear cut or simple. If the patent application was granted in both your husband and this other individual's name then your husband's part/rights to that patent should pass to you and/or other family members pursuant to your state's estate laws. If your husband had been the sole owner of the patent that would be pretty easy. With two owners, however, it becomes more difficult. More difficult still if they got the patent in the name of a business they operated together. It is always frustrating when one person appears to benefit from the hard work of another, but if your husband agreed or allowed the patent application to be in both their names, then both are identified as inventors. It is likely that you and/or other family members now co-own this patent with your husband's partner, but that does not clearly answer what should be done with the actual prototype.

One option is contacting the partner and letting him know that since your husband's heirs now share in ownership of the patent with him, you should all sit down and discuss how to proceed going forward. You could reach some sort of agreement on a splitting of any profits from the invention, who is responsible for what, whether you or any other family members who might inherit want to have any active role in marketing this invention, etc. In other words, sit down with him and discuss how all of you may best benefit from the invention going forward.

You may want to consult with a local estate lawyer to confirm inheritance of the actual patent and to determine exactly how the actual prototype should be handled before or after any such meeting or discussion. At this point, since the prototype was in your husband's possession when he died and was his personal property, you can probably just respond to the partner by saying until the estate is fully handled you are not in a position to give him the prototype. You may want to assure him you will not be attempting to use or sell or take any action in connection with the prototype or invention until the estate matter is resolved.

I am so very sorry you are going through this loss and having to deal with issues like this one at this time is so very hard. I hope this information has been helpful. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent customer service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Attorney