Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can anyone think of a defense for the following scenario? I…

Customer Question
Can anyone think of a...
Can anyone think of a defense for the following scenario? I purchased a 5% interest in a Georgia LLC, 10 years ago, during my time of ownership the LLC was sued for "alleged fraud on the part of one of the senior partners. We were both named in the litigation as well as the LLC. I sold my interest a year later. Now 9 years later one of the original attorney's has sued me (I have not heard from him since that time), for $80,000 saying the senior partner nor the LLC ever paid the legal fees and I'm joint and severally liable.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
3/23/2018
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
1. No agreement with you personally
2. Never received statements.
3. The client was the entity, not you.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Additional information: I did sign the original retainer agreement. (I paid $22,000) and was told legal action would be taken to drop me as an individual in the case since this was corporate activity and I couldn't be held personally liable. This apparently never happened. So yes I think the agreement was with me personally. I did receive the first few statements in 2008 but none since then. Does this help?
You can argue that their failure to bill amounts to a waiver. You also want to review the engagement letter to confirm you signed personally. If didn’t not liable.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.