Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a small business selling hand made items. If I am…

Customer Question
I have a small...

I have a small business selling hand made items. If I am using the same scents that are available wholesale in my products as the other business is, is this a problem? I am being told that I have infringed on their proprietary intellect.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Florida, the competitor is based out of Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I received a letter from their attorney telling me that I needed to change products, packaging, design, graphic representations, marketing representations, product descriptions, product names, and other items. Thus my question about scents.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Business Law
3/23/2018
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Are you creating the scent independently that just appears to be similar or using another’s product and formula?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have changed labels and wording. They products sold are nothing that isn't everywhere else. For instance, we both sell all natural deodorant. Same scents.
I do not see an issue. Not selling another product as your own.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Using another product and formula or using all natural essential oils.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Acceptable
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Attorney