Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a small business selling hand made items. If I am…

Customer Question
I have a small...

I have a small business selling hand made items. If I am using the same scents that are available wholesale in my products as the other business is, is this a problem? I am being told that I have infringed on their proprietary intellect.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Florida, the competitor is based out of Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I received a letter from their attorney telling me that I needed to change products, packaging, design, graphic representations, marketing representations, product descriptions, product names, and other items. Thus my question about scents.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
3/23/2018
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Are you creating the scent independently that just appears to be similar or using another’s product and formula?
I have changed labels and wording. They products sold are nothing that isn't everywhere else. For instance, we both sell all natural deodorant. Same scents.
I do not see an issue. Not selling another product as your own.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Using another product and formula or using all natural essential oils.
Acceptable
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!