Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Got this Email from Pirkley Barber Dear Ms. Reeves: This law…

Customer Question
Got this Email from...

Got this Email from Pirkley Barber Dear Ms. Reeves:
This law firm represents 3M Company (“3M”) in trademark and unfair competition matters. We write regarding your use of the mark WEPOSTIT4U.COM STORE, and your registration and use of the domain wepostit4u.com, in connection with your eBay store.
3M is the owner of the mark POST-IT, among the most famous trademarks in the world. See, e.g., 3M Co. v. Professional Gallery, Inc., 2014 WL(###) ###-####(TTAB Jul. 17, 2014) (“The above evidence leaves us in no doubt that POST-IT is a famous mark for sticky notes.”); Minn. Min. & Mfg. Co. v. Taylor, 21 F. Supp. 2d 1003, 1005 (D. Minn. 1998) (finding POST-IT mark famous). 3M has used its famous POST-IT mark continuously for more than three decades in connection with its revolutionary repositionable adhesive notes (also known as sticky notes), as well as with a variety of highly successful consumer products, including computer software for creating digital notes and annotations. 3M promotes the POST-IT brand and products on its website (see post-it.com) and on various social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. 3M also offers an app called POST-IT® PLUS that allows people to collaborate and communicate (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/post-it-plus/id920127738?mt=8). 3M owns numerous trademark registrations, many of which are incontestable, for the famous POST-IT mark. See, e.g., U.S.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No What chances Do I have in this ..I dont think this infringes on their Rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Page 2
goodwill is important to 3M, it cannot permit others to use marks or names confusingly similar to its POST-IT mark in ways that are likely to cause confusion as to any nonexistent sponsorship or affiliation with 3M, or to dilute 3M’s famous POST-IT mark.
It has come to our attention that you are using the mark WEPOSTIT4U.COM STORE and domain name wepostit4u.com, which redirects to an eBay store. Particularly given the fame of 3M’s POST-IT mark, we believe your use of this mark and domain name is ***** ***** cause confusion, in that consumers may mistakenly assume a connection between your business and website on the one hand, and 3M or the POST-IT brand on the other hand. Such use is also likely to cause dilution of 3M’s famous POST-IT mark. See, e.g., 15 U.S.C. §§ 1114(1), 1125(a), and 1125(c).
Accordingly, we request that you: (1) cease using the mark WEPOSTIT4U.COM STORE and name wepostit4ucny; (2) transfer the domain name wepostit4u.com (and any other domain names you may own or control that incorporate or are confusingly similar to the mark POST-IT or any other 3M mark) to 3M; and (3) agree that in the future you will not register or use any name, mark, logo, or domain name that includes POST-IT, POST IT, POSTIT, or any other mark confusingly similar to 3M’s marks.
We ask you to respond as soon as possible, and no later than ten days after your receipt of this letter, giving your written assurance that you will promptly comply with these requests. Once we have your assurance, our client will permit a reasonable period of time for you to switch to a new name. You may indicate your agreement by signing this letter in the space below and returning it to us, along with the transfer authorization code for the domain name (which you can obtain from your registrar). Please also “unlock” the domain name with your registrar to allow transfer.
Sincerely,
Kathryn Swint Thank you Deborah

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Business Law
3/22/2018
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
what can I answer for you?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry ..Do I have any chance of keeping my Business name against 3M ?
I am afraid not. You want to cooperate and avoid having to defend legal proceedings.
I am sorry to be bearer of bad news but I do not want to mislead you with false information.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
Infolawyer, Attorney