Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

When a lawyer is relatively less busy in the following two…

When a lawyer is relatively...
When a lawyer is relatively less busy in the following two periods: 1) the week before a big trial vs 2) during a big trial. Does a multiple days big trial be arranged in consecutive days, or one or more days a week for several weeks? Thanks.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
legalg
legalg, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

It really depends on the particular lawyer's habits and the case involved; for example if there is new evidence, or expert witnesses that fly in that need additional prepping, the week of trial can be much more time consuming. Otherwise the weeks leading up to, particularly the last week, is the "cram session" so to speak.

A trial can be bifurcated so that one issue is heard separately from all the others- usually necessary if there is a determination that needs to be made to affect all of the other issues.

Otherwise normally the trial will be calendered with consecutive dates unless the court has a conflict or other procedure (each judge dictates their schedule so certain days/times may be reserved for certain motions - such as ex parte motions, for example).

Thanks for the information. Seems that both periods can be very busy? May I ask last question: is the lawyer most relaxed the week after the trial is finished?

Yes, both periods can be very busy (it also depends on their other case load and if they are able to clear their schedule or if their other clients have any emergencies).

Yes, unless the court (judge or jury) does not render a decision immediately - then even if one has more "free" time there is still that issue weighing on them.

legalg
legalg, Attorney
Thanks for your helpful answers.