Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

PA** an arbitrator issued his decision in a business

Customer Question
dispute, but we need him...
PA** an arbitrator issued his decision in a business dispute, but we need him to record it as we need to file a motion to enforce settlement. The arbitor claims he has not been paid in full and so will not release a signed original copy of his decision. We dispute the portion that he claims is owed to him. Can he hold up the litigation process in this way.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Business Law
3/21/2018
Business Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Most arbitration awards must be filed with the court to enforce them. Have you filed a lawsuit to the enforce the award in state court yet? The court can enforce a copy of the arbitration award. Most agreements allow for the recovery of attorney's fees in enforcing the agreement or an arbitration. Be sure to check your agreement.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we haven't filed a lawsuit yet because we need the arbitrator's original signed decision. the arbitrator is refusing to file (or give us a signed original) to file because he claims he hasn't had full payment yet. Can he do this.

Do you have a copy of it (unsigned)? I would still recommend enforcement in state court. The arbitrator can refuse to sign the award but the state court can compel him to produce or testify as tot he award.

Here's the PA rule (Rule 1328) for filing the motion:

https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/231/chapter1300/s1328.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
bot***** *****ne is, he cannot use incomplete payment as a reason for refusing to file a signed original (or release to us a signed original to file)

No. He may be able to ask the court to enforce the arbitration agreement for paying his fees. The court will then need to consider what his reasonable fees are.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney