Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

What are the steps to change ownership in a s corporation in…

What are the steps to...
What are the steps to change ownership in a s corporation in California? Initially it was 2 shareholders, I have to remove one of them.
3/20/2018
socrateaser, Attorney

The term, "S Corporation" refers to federal and state tax law. It has no application to issues of corporate ownership or registration with the California Secretary of State. The State recognizes all for-profit corporations as just that: corporations.

A shareholder in a corporation cannot be "removed." The shareholder must be convinced to sell his or her shares, to the other shareholder(s), or to the corporation itself. There is an exception where a board of directors cannot function due to an even number of shareholders being on opposite sides of a governing issue. But, this would require petition a court to dissolve the corporation entirely. So, unless you are determined to start a new corporation and dissolve the current corporation, your options are limited.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.
I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good, so if the shareholder sells his shares to the other shareholder. What are the steps?

1. Negotiate a price.

2. Sign an agreement to buy-sell the shares. Agreement can be very simple or very complicated, dependent upon the sort of liability and confidentiality the parties choose to release and maintain.

3. Seller signs the share certificate over to the buyer.

4. Corporate secretary enters the change in shares and shareholders into the corporation records.

Done.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney