Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am in, DC and would like to know if I can sue for damages…

Customer Question
Hello,I am in Washington, DC...
Hello,I am in Washington, DC and would like to know if I can sue for damages (ie. legal fees, accrued interest from loans & credit cards, delinquent supplier accounts/loss of credit lines, etc.) on top of the amount owed? An answer based on my jurisdiction would be most helpful. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Business Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not been given a clear answer on whether I am able to recoup my legal expenses or not. If I am able to, then what is the legal terminology that's needed to request for this? I don't see why that should be on me.
3/20/2018
Business Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney

to be clear, is this a personal injury case, a breach of contract case? That will allow me to focus my research and answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is, I guess, a breach of contract. A little back story. One of my competitors called me to help him with some of there government purchase orders because they got in over there head. I obliged to do so and gave them a $10,000 credit limit. When they got paid, they were supposed to pay me back. Instead of doing this, they put the money back into there business filling more orders so he says. That amount grew to over $100,000 in two months (Oct.-Nov. 2014) unbeknownst to me. The young lady whom I had working for me at the time allowed them to keep placing orders until one day I received a check from them for $1,000+ and thought to myself, this doesn't cover much of anything. That's when I requested for her to run a report in Quickbooks and I discovered all of these orders and an outstanding balance of 30,000+ for October and 70,000+ for November. She tried to say that I knew about it but they always called her to place there orders and would tell her that they spoke to me about it. She was also compensated on the side for taking there orders. She just quit on January 3rd, 2015 without saying anything and we haven't spoken since. Now I'm stuck with all of this debt and don't know what to do. I'm trying to save my business and personal life but not sure if I'm going to be able to dig out of this hole. I pretty much lost everything and have maxed out my credit trying to bounce back. I need all the legal help I can get right now and I want help going after each of them ferociously! I feel like they tried to bury me.

I am very sorry to hear that. Yes, it does seem to fall under a breach of contract scenario. My research indicates that yes you would be entitled to recover any damages or amounts incurred that were caused by the breach. So interest, attorney fees, out of pocket expenses all are recoverable.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even if you went through discovery and trial? My attorney seems to think I should settle instead of going to trial to save me some money. I am wondering why does it matter if we are asking the courts for damages? Any thoughts?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are filing for unjust gains or something like that.

I don't like to second guess your attorney because I don't know all the details of the case but collecting a debt and continuing with litigation can be cost prohibitive. And even many times when you should have been granted attorney fees, judges may not always award them.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney