Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am being ripped off by the local toll road in my area, I…

Hello,I am being ripped off...
Hello,I am being ripped off by the local toll road in my area, I have had an account since they opened some 10 years ago. They give you a transponder and it records that you have traveled through the toll road and then bills your bank account or credit card. They also keep $30 dollars in reserve in their account to deduct the tolls from.In the month of December of 2017, I traveled the toll road not knowing there was an issue with my card. Once I found out I paid the tolls over the phone and was told that the "fines" would be waved which was normal for people with accounts. However, when I went to renew my auto registration I was told there was a lien on my car for over $7800 dollars in fines, I called to dispute the fines and the toll road stated all they could do was offer me a settlement offer of $1410 dollars payable in 6 monthly payments of $235.11 dollars. They stated they had changed their policy and that was the best they could do because of the state rules.Now, this toll road is supposed to be a private toll road built with bonds now they are saying they pay the state. I have formally asked them to provide proof that they are state-controlled and asked for their corporate charter and they refused to respond. They are stating if I don't pay the Franchise Tax Board will collect; I cant drive my car now because
I can't register it and I paid the tolls, they changed the rules and they had a history of correcting any billing issues.As well the DMV here plays along and will not allow me to register my car without paying the lien. What can I do to get this resolved?
3/19/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, your only recourse with them now they have put the lien on your registration would be you need to sue them in court to prove the lien is invalid and that they placed this lien improperly. So, now they have the lien, you have two ways to clear it, you either pay the lien off with the settlement amount or you need to sue them to make them prove the amount and then you can prove the lien is invalid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.