Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

We have an investor that we have been working with as of…

We have an investor that...
We have an investor that we have been working with as of November 2017. There have been multiple agreements signed during this period (Investment Proposal, Letter of Intent, Bridge Financing Agreement, Amendment to the Agreement, formal Investment Agreement and a Payment Extension Agreement). The investor has personally signed all of these agreements and has engaged our company for development work based upon an agreed investment amount required for a development project. The investor has paid approximately 22% of the investment per the agreement. However, the investor has asked us to consider returning the investment, though they immediately afterwards state that they want to continue to work with our company and its financing. Does the investor have any legal right to a return of funds if they have already been provided, multiple contracts have been signed obligating the investor to provide the investment and also the fact that the full investment was never made?
3/19/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

There is no basis for return of the investment, where the agreements do not carve out such an unusual clause. The investment is subject to the terms, and normally would depend on goals being made and discretion of the managers. It is not a callable loan.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
thank you.
Glad to hear it. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Attorney