Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

What is a standard length of time for a franchise to sign a…

Customer Question
Hello, what is a standard...
Hello, what is a standard length of time for a franchise to sign a non compete with a franchisor within 5 miles?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
3/15/2018
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
One year. Otherwise risk having it stuck down. Non Non competes are rarely enforced. they need to be very limited in time and space. unless a few miles and months will typically fail. Most employers wont even pursue it and clients are free to choose for themselves!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I am buying 4 units of a franchise from the franchisor. He still has other locations. He is offering me a non compete for 20 years at a 5 mile radius. Does that seem fair to you or will that not hold up in court?
It is fair but may not be enforced. That said a court may shorten it at Most so I would not raise an issue with an extended period such as this.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.