Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

You opined that an actual controversy must exist before a…

Customer Question
Sir: You opined that an...
Sir: You opined that an actual controversy must exist before a court will consider adjudication. I believe you are right 99.9% of the time on that issue. However, my research since indicated that a US Supreme Court decision in 1983- Pacific Gas vs State Energy carves out an exception if postponing a decision would work a substantial hardship on the Petitioner. Do you agree that in the very small number of cases when such an issue arises the exception would still exist? I understand that your general answer is almost always correct and the exception noted is no reflection on the value of your excellent service.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Business Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Your position on the exception could be valid if there is a way you can find out if the case that you cited has not been overruled--if the case is still good law. I have no way of knowing that as verifying that information would require me to access premium legal databases. I cannot do that within the confines of this forum.

So, let me know which database you used to verify that the case is still good law--to shepardize the case.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thanks