Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I need advice on how to structure an LLC between two members…

Hi, I need advice...

Hi, I need advice on how to structure an LLC between two members opening up a fourth location of a coffee shop. The first 3 locations are under one c-corp. The 4th one will be a new LLC. One of the members of the new LLC is the owner of the c-corp that will be transferring a license to use the name of the c-corp to the new location (LLC).

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?

NYS

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, how much does this cost? thank you

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/15/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

I understand you want to open an LLC with two owners and then use the name of the other c-corp. Is that correct?

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney
Sort of, I want to form an LLC for the fourth location of a successful coffee shop in Brooklyn, NY. The owner of that coffee shop is going to partner with me on the 4th location. I am going to put in 80% of the capital, oversee the lease, security, buildout, etc. He is going to put in 20% of capital in the form of equipment. I don't think he wants to be a member of the LLC. Should he be when a file with the state? If not, I'm guessing it's a license deal for that one shop term is throughout the life of the shop? Is there a way to treat him as an owner without actually being on the LLC by issuing him some sort of profit sharing in exchange for the equipment. And then I guess the license is free to use.
Phone call session started