Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Explain to me what "serious prejudice" legally in laymens…

Good Morning, Please explain to...
Good Morning, Please explain to me what "serious prejudice" legally in laymens terms
3/14/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In plain English, serious prejudice is an action that is not a material fact that changes the outcome of a case because it causes the trier of fact to focus on that action or statement that is not part of the actual facts in the case instead of the facts of the case. So, failure to present a material witness by counsel is a serious prejudice to the case because the witness could have changed the outcome, counsel of opposing party who makes statements based on false evidence can cause serious prejudice if the trier of fact focuses on that and it changes the outcome of the trial.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.