Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

My family owns a food truck. The name is registered as

My family owns a food...
My family owns a food truck. The name is ***** ***** Whitter’s Wings LLC with the state of Ohio. When we obtained our Federal EIN Number we made a mistake and listed my father as the owner of the company. We intended to assign my mother as the primary owner. I then fixed the mistake by creating another Federal EIN Number under the name of simply “Whitter’s Wings” with no LLC at the end, and I properly assigned my mother as the owner of the company. My question is which EIN Number should we use for the business and which number should we cancel with the IRS? Should we keep the EIN with the name that has LLC attached to it? If so, how can we make sure my mother is assigned as the primary owner of the company?
3/13/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

The federal EIN number is ***** to the company entity; not the primary owner of the company. Therefore, use the EIN number that is associated with the company name that your business will be using and the name that has been registered with Ohio Secretary of State. ( I am assuming it is the LLC that has been registered with the State). If you want to change the primary owner of the LLC -- you can do that on the Ohio Secretary of State website. You can change directors, officers, registered agent, etc. at any time.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Lori
Lori, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You are welcome.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney