Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

In the state of California; 1) What does the state require…

Second opinion] In the state...
Second opinion] In the state of California; 1) What does the state require me to due to legally operate as a LLC. ?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/15/2018
Wendy
Wendy, Moderator
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Wendy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to know what the state requires me to do, to operate as a legally operating LLC.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The State is California. Thank You
legalg
legalg, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

First the primary document is the Articles of Organization (Form LLC-1) which is to be filed with the Secretary of State;

Please see:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/starting-business/

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/starting-business/types/

Prepare an operating agreement (not required but a standard procedure).

Next is to file a Statement of Information (LLC-12) within 90 days of filing the LLC-1.

One would need to apply for a tax ID number (FEI):
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online

One also must appoint a registered agent; this is an authorized person to accept legal documents on behalf of the LLC:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/faqs/

Then of course getting any business licenses, city/county permits, etc.

The SBA is a great source as is the secretary of state's site above:

https://www.sba.gov/blogs/forming-llc-key-documents-youll-need-file-and-create

legalg
legalg, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I legally operate with out filing the LLC-12 in Calif and not getting the FEI
legalg
legalg
legalg, Attorney