WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Senior Associate at White & Case LLP
62735101

I have a question regarding the eligibility of performing

Customer Question

Hi there,I have a question regarding the eligibility of performing business work in the US as Canadians under NAFTA 1603.d.1We are two Canadian citizens who have recently gotten Nexus passes.We are directors of a non profit, federally incorporated in Canada, located in Montreal, that engages in consulting work with clients both in Canada and in the US.Our organization has recently won a paid contract from a US organization and started performing the work out of Montreal, with the two of us being the main ones also performing the work. We are remunerated solely by our Canadian non profit. We wanted to meet the client in person and an perform an on site visit at the client location in the US.As we were entering the US, using our Nexus, we stated the purpose of our trip ans were taken aside for detailed questioning. After explaining the above situation, we were turned back and our nexusss taken away for review.Our understanding after reading the NAFTA 1603.d.1 is that as long as we as individuals are not directly compensated by the US client and the work is international in scope (ie: all of it takes place in Canada) we should have been granted entry under the b1 status.Is this a valid argument to present to Nexus in order to have our cards reinstated? Or are we misunderstanding something?Thanks,
JA: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?
Customer: Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just the above
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Wendy replied 8 months ago.
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do. Please connect me as soon abs possible.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 8 months ago.

I suggest we have a phone call to discuss and I can help you now.