Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can an entity impacted by a Florida County Rule or Code

subject to an appellate process...
Can an entity impacted by a Florida County Rule or Code subject to an appellate process that can only legally begin when the entity is cited for non compliance,be in any way challenged as a denial of due process immediately?
(Which non compliance if the appeal were lost, would still make the entity liable for very substantial fines under the law for a very extended period of time while it complied),
Scenario: The County is seeking to enforce a particular rule regarding the retrofitting of sprinklers in certain buildings. The cost to retrofit is extremely high and the unit owners have previously legally rejected it almost unanimously. Now it has become inevitable unless challenged officially. They wish to dispute the application of the rule in the form of an appeal to the Broward County Board of Rules and Appeals. However, such an appeal can apparently only be made legally after the entity has been cited for non-compliance. The mandated work is estimated to take 18 to 20 months and cost the entity $millions.
Fines that can legally be levied are $500/day/unit. That comes to $10,000/day for a 200 unit building and $300K/month or $3.6 million/year. Theoretically the fines could come accumulate to $5-$6million before the work is completed. The entity does not wish to embark on the work unless it has no choice as a result of losing the appeal.
But, nor does it want to wait for the first citation and risk millions in fines.
What, if anything, can it legally do to resolve this issue?
3/13/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your issue.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Response 1: Unfortunately, no. A party cannot preemptively argue a violation of due process when the City/government has not taken any action against the party. In this case, the issue (the controversy) would only arise unfortunately after the party has been cited for non-compliance.

Response 2: Unfortunately, there is no way around this. The entity cannot challenge the City for violation of due process before the citation for non-compliance has been issued--before the controversy arises.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
In the case above does the option of suing the State still remain, on the somewhat different but broader grounds that the law requiring the County to enforce something is a violation of the US Constitution, even if the County has not yet acted and therefore no harm has yet befallen the moving party?

Regrettably, my answer remains the same. You cannot preemptively sue the State for a possible action to be taken by the City.

Thanks