Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Looking at a Santa Monica, CA lease agreement. Unit comes…

Looking at a Santa Monica...
Looking at a Santa Monica, CA lease agreement. Unit comes with two spots. Additionally, the city provides on-street permits for residents. The lease doesn't specifically say we are allowed those. Is it clear that a tenant is allowed whatever parking the city is willing to give permits to residents for?
3/12/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Unit comes with two spots. Additionally, the city provides on-street permits for residents. The lease doesn't specifically say we are allowed those.

.

Not sure what you mean here... Does the lease state that the unit comes with parking spots A1 and A2, for example? or is it silent?

.

Is the city parking permit a completely separate thing than the two that you are allocated in the lease?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It says we have two spots in the garage. She said verbally that the city also allows a couple with permits on the street. But she is pissy about answering specifically in writing.

Ok, so the way I interpret that is that you get two specifically assigned on site spaces for only your use. But if you contacted the city, you could obtain some type of city parking permit that would allow you to park in a public area owned by the city, normally on a first come first served basis.

.

So theoretically you could have your 2 spots on site and then however many you wanted by purchasing parking permits from the city to park at their spots..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, thanks. Hey, back to the taking pictures clause, is it normal for that harsh of a clause to be in there? It's not in my current lease, so i haven't seen it before. "Harsh" meaning no apparent limitations.

Are we going back to the other question about them taking photos for advertising purposes? is that what you are referring to?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, lol

Ok, then yes, that is common... I have them in all my leases simply because I like to advertise early in the season (I have some college rentals) and like to have current pics.

.

But typically I will take photos when it is empty and rarely take them when a tenant has all their stuff there as it can look cluttered and smaller than it is when it is filled with stuff. I can't remember when I actually took photos of a place with the tenant's property in it even though I always have that clause in the lease.

.

So while that clause is in there, they might not even exercise it if they have good photos that aren't too old...

Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, Attorney