Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

What are some ways to find case law that would be primary…

What are some ways to...
What are some ways to find case law that would be primary Authority in Utah that is free of charge or fairly inexpensive?
3/11/2018
socrateaser, Attorney

There is a free legal research system at www.casetext.com.

There is a low-cost subscription legal research system at: www.versuslaw.com. You can purchase a subscription by the month with no long-term contract.

The downside of these systems is that you cannot easily determine if a particular appellate opinion has been overruled or modified. Also, the search capabilities of each system is fairly rudimentary, when compared to professional research systems. The systems used by appellate courts are either Westlaw or Lexisnexis. These systems are very expensive, unless you use them at a public or university law library. However, they have the benefit of extremely sophisticated search methods, and secondary sources such as scholarly legal treatises on every subject in every U.S jurisdiction.

I subscribe to Westlaw. If you need some research done, tell me what you're looking for and I'll run a quick search and let you know if anything comes up.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Thanks.. you give the kind of service I used to get when the site first started. I appreciate the offer. Im sorry for the long explaination. I've been in a situation where the opposition's attorney ("Joe")and the judge (Judge John) are friends. Judge John was a partner with Joe for about 27 years with a local firm. I had several attorneys that I paid to represent me but when they heard all the facts they believed there was a conspiracy and they didn't really want to report them as they should. Oddly enough Joe and Judge John didn't seem to be covert about the corruption. It was apparent they were creating their own work so that money would be sent to the good old boys at the firm.I am a disabled senior citizen and at the direction of my Ex-wife who is 40, attorney Joe continues to send me threatening letters and continues to file repeated motions for order to show cause. This has gone on 8 years. It caused me a heaet attact and a worsening of my narcolepsy. Attorney Joe has even emailed me and made the remark that he knows the judge will see things his way and in fact that has been the truth. During a property trial in April 2016 there corruption hit a peak - my ex has a high-paying job and I'm on disability and we were only married for 4 years. During the marriage I put her through school to get an MBA. She took part of her school loan out before we were married and then other part shortly after we were married. Judge John ordered me to pay half of her school loans even the part taken out before we were married. Even though my ex had involved our child in a 100 mile-an-hour DUI crash in which child protective services found her guilty of failure to protect a child, instead of ordering supervised visitation he actually gave her more visitation time and reduced the amount of Child Support she paid by 1/3.My daughter came home from being with my Ex injuries from my Ex alcoholic boyfriend including a verified molestation. Attorney Joe told the judge I shouldn't be allowed to call the police or Child Protective Services anymore. The judge ordered it and said that if I called them and my ex wasn't found guilty than as a sanction for me I would lose custody of our child for two weeks straight. I believe that order is in violation of my constitutional rights I'm freedom of speech and it's a law in our state that we have to report abuse. I just recently found out that this judge taught a class to the lawyers in southern Utah and the class was entitled, how to win in my courtroom. There was no class like that has being offered for people whoare pro se and of course there would be that bias that a ProSe person couldn't possibly win as it would reflect on Judge Johns teaching litigation techniques to attorneys. During the trial the judge would start to question me as though he was tag-teaming with his former partner. He never did this for the opposition. One of the most striking things is he kept making derogatory remarks about me being disabled. Three or four times he said he couldn't see how a disabled person could ever possibly raise a child. By law SSDI money cannot be used to calculate child support. He did it anyway claiming he believed that I could at least work a minimum wage job flipping burgers. This was not a disability hearing and there was no evidence ever brought up whether I could work flipping burgers or not. Again I apologize this is so long but I guess I'm trying to find some sort of case law regarding when a judge can be fired or when a judge can be sued. When I've talked to attorneys here they've just said there's nothing that can be done that judges can't be fired and can't be sued and besides he's friends with the district attorney. I want to recuse him but I've been told he won't recuse himself because he was from that former Law Firm because apparently other people of felt there's funny business going on there. Is there any case law that if a judge is so biased as to make derogatory comments about the disabled that I could ask for a new trial or ask for a dismissal of his decisions and orders? On disability I don't make enough to even cover all the medications I take and now I'm getting more threatening emails from attorney Joe that I need to pay my ex for everything that judge awarded her including half of the school loans and the judge ordered I pay her legal fees. Case law on corrupt judges and corrupt attorney? We have a lot in our state that criminalizes people who try to financially harm the elderly or vulnerable but for some reason this attorney has a pass to do it? I would think there would be some case law to stop this abuse

I believe that this case provides the applicable law that you seek: Cheek v. Clay Bulloch Const. Inc., 2016 UT App 227, 387 P.3d 611.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

5

Thanks for your rating and for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Attorney