Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am 1/3 owner of a business I built with my 2 brothers. I…

Customer Question
I am 1/3 owner...

I am 1/3 owner of a business I built with my 2 brothers. I have suffered from all kinds of harassment and discrimination from my older brother and now he is trying to force me out of the business that I do not want to leave.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I believe the state we started our partnership was Colorado but my little brother was trying to move it to NJ and I am not sure where we are in the process (because I haven't been working since my older brother agreed to paying me a commission on new biz and then when I went to collect, he renegged.)

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I dont know that we have an "employment agreement". we are a partnership and I worked full time (and beyond), as did my older brother, but my little brother worked less based on his responsibilities. We were all somewhat in agreement to his less hours.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My older brother controlled the purse string VERY tightly and even after we agreeed from day 1 that I would get a salary of $1500 a mo after 6 years to replace my expiring alimony, he mostly refused to allow any of us to be paid. I begged and pleaded alot for money and he ignored me. I ended up having a nervous breakdown from the hours and stress involved and constant worry over finances. I couldn't work another job for income since there was no time left in my ife to work a second job. I got hurt on the job which escalated the stress. I ended up having spine surgery from the injury and also needed emergency open heart surgery that I 100% believe was brought on by stress of working all the time, fighting with my brother for pay, being abused and mistreated and constantly put down and insulted by him because I wouldnt stop asking for pay. I worked 6 years for "free" and we were making money. He just wanted to keep re-investing and I didn't. But he controlled the money and kept re-investing anyway. Even after I returned to work after the surgeries, I only agreed to if I was PAID a comm on new sales (that they later could deduct from my share of the profits so I wasn't getting something they werent, but then after $600K in new biz, he refused and said he never liked that agreement anyway and just pretended like it never happened.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Business Law
3/12/2018
Business Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

No one should be forced out of a partnership against their will, and without compensation. Does that answer your question?

Infolawyer, Attorney