Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

In New York State, I own a residential rental apartment

building and have paved parking...
In New York State, I own a residential rental apartment building and have paved parking lot for my tenants. Customers of my neighbor bar often come to park at my parking lot. I have spoke to the bar owner, he said he would tell his customers not to park on my parking lot. However, same problem persists. Any way to sue my neighbor?
3/10/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The problem here is that it is not the neighbor who is trespassing, it is the customers who park on your property. So I don't see any legal grounds to go after the neighbor for a 3rd party's illegal actions.

.

Your best recourse here is to post lots of "Private Property" and towing signs and then contact a local towing company to have them post the lot and come tow anyone who isn't legally allowed to be there.. You would probably have to come up with some type of hang tag for your tenants so they would only tow trespassers..

.

.

thanks

can I call the police to charge them trespassing?

Yes, if you have the property posted with no trespassing signs..

If the neighbor bar customers park at my parking lot created inconvenience of my tenants, wear and tear of the paved parking lot, I still have no ground to sue?

No, it isn't the neighbor who is doing this... it is the people coming to his business who then trespass on your land. You can't hold someone liable for a 3rd party's illegal actions..

Barrister, Attorney