Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

As a normal creditor I know I am not allowed to garnish tax…

Customer Question
As a normal creditor I...
As a normal creditor I know I am not allowed to garnish tax refunds.
However, am I allowed to garnish other government refunds like FHA insurance?https://entp.hud.gov/dsrs/refunds/If someone owes me $5,000 and they are due an FHA hud refund for $5,000, am I allowed to put a judgment lien on the HUD refund and garnish it? Or is it protected due to its federal status (similar to IRS tax refunds)?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Business Law
3/10/2018
Business Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Your Questions:

If someone owes me $5,000 and they are due an FHA hud refund for $5,000, am I allowed to put a judgment lien on the HUD refund and garnish it?

Response 1: No, you are not. You cannot in effect intercept the refund.

Or is it protected due to its federal status (similar to IRS tax refunds)?

Response 2: Yes.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

But if I get a regular judgment I could get an order barring transferring of assets.
Of course it wouldn't do much considering they could just use the FHA refund money to buy food and consider it regular living expenses.Looking at it from another perspective, can someone sell me an interest in their FHA refund? For example, I can buy real estate notes through an "assignment of note" document. Can I buy FHA refunds like this or this considered equivalent to trying to buy an IRS tax refund and the government would laugh at the idea?

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

here's a link to what tax preparers can do.
they can give refund advance loans. I'm wondering if I can do something similar with FHA

Of course it wouldn't do much considering they could just use the FHA refund money to buy food and consider it regular living expenses.

Response 1: You are correct.

Looking at it from another perspective, can someone sell me an interest in their FHA refund?

Response 2: Unfortunately, no.

For example, I can buy real estate notes through an "assignment of note" document. Can I buy FHA refunds like this or this considered equivalent to trying to buy an IRS tax refund and the government would laugh at the idea?

Response 3: The answer is no. The refund is not assignable under the circumstances.

Response: Unfortunately, the answer is no.

my only option would be to get a power of attorney signed by the person to collect the check myself?

Unfortunately, you would still have a problem because the check would not be made payable to you.