Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

If offering securities via Reg D, does a Form D need to be…

If offering securities via Reg...
If offering securities via Reg D, does a Form D need to be filed before the offering or, if not, when does it need to be filed?Example:https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1732616/000173261618000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml
3/10/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. The SEC rules (https://www.sec.gov/info/smallbus/secg/formdguide.htm) require the notice to be filed within 15 days after the first sale of securities in the offering. For this purpose, the date of first sale is the date on which the first investor is irrevocably contractually committed to invest. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, it is moved to the next business day. The SEC does not charge any filing fee for a Form D notice or amendment.

Hmm, I heard it was $100 per state.

I'm sorry. There needs to be filing with the SEC and then each state has their own Blue Sky rules.

Sorry, now I am cloudy. I need to ensure I am covering all bases. If I accept money from investors, you are saying I need to file a Form D with the SEC and there is no fee to file that but that I may have to file something in each state to cover the "Blue Sky" rules? What do I have to file with each state? The same Form D or something else and with what agency?

Each state has its own rules; you'll need to look up the Blue Sky rules/exemptions for each state from which you have investors.

ok

It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Attorney