Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I'm a small subcontractor, in Tucson, AZ, I was so busy in…

I'm a small subcontractor...

I'm a small subcontractor, in Tucson, AZ, I was so busy in the year 2016, that I wasn't able to keep up with my invoices. I recently let my work load slow down so that I could get caught up on my paper work. I put together 2 invoices that I completed the in 2016. Do I have a legal leg to stand on?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Most the materials have been paid for, during this time I sent emails or text messages to remind them that I still need to turn in final invoices for the two jobs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have emails, receipts, and other documents that prove this.

3/9/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Do you have a contract or any written agreement? If so, does it state when any invoices need to be presented to be paid?

There are two jobs, two different contractors, and each job has it’s own Guide lines.

Thank you for the reply. If money is owed and the debts are less than two years old, you should be able to still make a demand and submit an invoice and be able to get paid. If they refuse, you would need to sue them for breach of contract. They are not allowed to get free work, labor and materials just as a result of your failure to submit an invoice but you do want to see what policy they have, if any, regarding when these need to be submitted. You should go over the guidelines and see what they require and if they are silent, submit your invoice and demand payment. After all, they would be unjustly enriched if they got the work for free and did not have to pay you, when you completed the job.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

I appreciate your response, I have sent them all the information pertaining to the jobs. I have called with no response, emailed, and texted messaged, with no luck. Do you any suggestions?

You are welcome. Yes, at this time file suit. If they are acting in bad faith and failing to respond, you need to file a lawsuit. You can go after them for breach of contract and unjust enrichment and collect for the money which you are owed. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney