Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I'm applying to a massage organization to teach

I'm applying to a massage...
I'm applying to a massage organization to teach recertification credits. I will pay them $250 to have the classes that I teach eligible for relicensing credits. They want my social security number and date of birth- they will never be paying me any money, I pay them, so they never need to report any payment to me. I'm reluctant to give them my identity info. Is it illegal in any way to give these people an imaginary social security number? The date of birth I imagine I can fudge.
3/8/2018
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Have you asked them why they need an SS#? Have you asked if there is an alternate means of ID you could give?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its an online signup. I wonder if it's even legal for them to require this of me. In any case, there's no one to ask, and if I did ask them, I imagine they'd just tell me to forget it
If it is only for identification, they have to allow an alternate method. You can not be required to give you ss# ***** non tax purposes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK_ so if I gave a fake one? They won't process the application without it
if you gave a fake one, I do not know how they would know if they are not running you through payroll.
You aren't legally required to provide your SSN to businesses unless one of the following is true:• You'll be engaging in a transaction that requires notification to the Internal Revenue Service; or• You're initiating a financial transaction subject to federal Customer Identification Program rules.If you refuse to provide your SSN, companies may choose not to do business with you, but there's no law that prevents them from asking for it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
since i'm not engaging in the above, is it illegal for me to give a false number?
I do not think it is unless you are attempting doing so to defraud them or the government.
Are you still onlin with me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thanks <i 'm only wanting to keep my identity safe.
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney