Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I prepaid a year membership at a gym, but the owner has

closed the location, the other...
i prepaid a year membership at a gym, but the owner has closed the location, the other location is more than 5 miles away, which per the contract allows cancellation of the membership, am i owed a refund for the remaining prepaid term?
3/8/2018
legalg
legalg, Attorney
The top of page 3 under "refunds" states the autopayments will stop and there will be no cancellation fee and that refunds will be issued within 15 days if the company moved more than 5 miles from the customer's residence.As such a refund for prepayment would be required.
i noticed an arbitration clause, if they do not refund within 15 days, will i have to invoke arbitration, or will i need to go to small claims to collect?
Arbitration clauses are typically favored and thus enforced by the court so that would typically not allow for a small claims filing unless the clause is for non binding arbitration.
legalg
legalg, Attorney