Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

My client is a realtor and leases a car for her business.

She paid $10,000 to lease...
My client is a realtor and leases a car for her business. She paid $10,000 to lease her car for 2017. Would this expense fall under the category of auto repairs? It seems to me that while it is an auto expense, it is not really a repair?
3/8/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney

No, it doesn't go under repairs, it would go under "Lease expense" or if there is no category for that, miscellaneous operating expenses.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Do you mean Lease expenses for operating the business? As in actors who rent costumes for their business?

Yes, if she uses the car in earning real estate commission, then it is an operating expense that can be categorized as Lease expense.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
I read somewhere that the down payment has to be depreciated over the life of the car. If true what would the life span be? And what method would I use?