Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I changed the name and state of incorporation of my business…

I changed the name and...
I changed the name and state of incorporation of my business in 2009. I dissolved the Nevada corporation and sent letters to my suppliers with the new EIN and name. I didn't realize at the time I had to officially close the business with the IRS and file a final tax return, etc. I just continued operations with the new name. Since its been so long and I've never received any notices, etc. do I still need to do this? I just realized some of my suppliers never changed their records so I wanted to get that taken care of but I don't want to open a can of worms either.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Did you dissolve the Nevada corporation with the state also? In other words, did you file the paperwork with the state to dissolve it? Usually, you would have to have proof that state taxes were paid prior to dissolving it officially (besides checking off the box on the final IRS tax return).

I did dissolve the corporation through the state yes. There are no taxes in Nevada was my understanding

Do you use a CPA for your taxes?

I have an accountant that I've been using for a year but she's not a cpa. I used to do my own. I lost money all 3 years 2006 2007 and 2008 so there wouldn't be any taxes due. I did file federal income tax those years

It probably is best just to file the previous tax return for 2009 through the accountant and check the box. It may cost to pay the accountant to handle it, but if the business was dormant with no income, then there should not be any penalty.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney