Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Is there an high interest limit if I lend someone and charge…

Is there an high interest...
Is there an high interest limit if I lend someone and charge interest in Georgia?
3/7/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

For contracts that aren't in writing, the legal limit is 7% interest per year. Contracts for $3,000 or less are capped at 16% interest. Contracts in writing for $3,000.01 to $250,000 do not have a set cap in that statute. (as long as it's in writing and the borrower agrees to pay). Code of Georgia, Section 7-4-2.

However, it is a misdemeanor to charge more than 5% per month. That works out to 60% per year. See Section 7-4-18. Interest is typically charged annually, but collected monthly. The contract should be clear what the annual rate is so there is no confusion.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney