Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a non profit that i didnt use for 2017. it is a youth…

I have a non...

I have a non profit that i didnt use for 2017. it is a youth basketball program who helps community kids play and travel for basketball. i would like to change the usage of the non profit. should i just close the account or can i change it without a lot of effort? if it is very difficult i will just start over.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes since 2011

Answered in 1 day by:
3/9/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Attorney
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today. What is the change of use?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I change it to working with girls for scholarships or women getting back in the workplace?Not sure. Does it have to stay in the same arena?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A little background. All non profit’s have a written mission statement which sets out what your organization does and whom it serves. It is important that your nonprofit’s activities tie directly to your mission statement and help to further that mission.

You are allowed to change a non profit mission or who you will help.

Your nonprofit’s board should consider amending the mission statement to reflect your change from working with girls for scholarships to women getting back in the workplace. In revising the mission, the board should ensure that the new mission remains consistent with tax-exempt purposes, then amend the bylaws, and then ensure the appropriate parties are notified of the change.

As long as your organizing purpose hasn't changed to a fundamentally different category and there is written agreement from your board of directors that the organization should change it's mission and activities, it shouldn't impact your 501c3. You change is appears to be a similar mission, and the activities will remain fundamentally the same. The rule is that if there is a substantial change to the organization’s mission must it must be reported to the IRS on its Form 990 annual information return.

As a rule, amendments to an organization’s mission statement will usually not jeopardize the organization’s 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status so long as the mission statement remains consistent with a tax-exempt purpose and the change is disclosed to the IRS on Form 990 or 990-EZ along with the amended organizational document.

However, your mission appears to be similar and the activities will remain fundamentally the same, so you probably will not have to file a change on your annual information return. If you have an accountant, you should have the accountant ld review your organization documents, initial filings and donations, and make an assessment on if the change should be reported.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question.

After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

KLAW
KLAW, Attorney
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Attorney