Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can Apps for an iPhone be trademarked?

Can Apps for an iPhone be trademarked?
3/7/2018
RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, absolutely. Note that what is being trademarked is the name and design of characters, etc... rather than the actual "flow" or "design" of the game itself.

For example, "Angry Birds" is trademarked in Canada, per the Canadian trademark database:

(###) ###-####a href="https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1525051&lang=eng&tab=reg" target="_blank">ANGRY BIRDSALLOWED

28

(###) ###-####a href="https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1524774&lang=eng&tab=reg" target="_blank">ANGRY BIRDSABANDONED - VOLUNTARY

1, 7, 9, 16, 21, ...

(###) ###-####a href="https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1487016&lang=eng&tab=reg" target="_blank">ANGRY BIRDS & DesignREGISTERED

<section class="wb-lbx lbx-gal wb-lbx-inited wb-init" }"="" id="wb-auto-17" style="box-sizing: border-box;">

1, 7, 9, 16, 21, ...

The point is that they can be trademarked, yes.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Thank you. I’m more concerned about the idea than the name. Can you patent an App? It’s not a game, it’s an application that will assist Schools and Bus Companies in monitoring student behaviour.

Your question was if it could be trademarked, which I had answered. Yes, it could still be patented if it is a novel and unique idea (that has not been tried before).

RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney
Okay that is likely what we need then thank you.