Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a bit of a conundrum for my business. I'm trying to…

Hi there, I have a...
Hi there, I have a bit of a conundrum for my business. I'm trying to figure out which address to put on my taxes.Timeline:
Started LLC in 2016 in TexasJuly 2017 - planned on traveling and so sold everything and forwarded mail to my sister's house in DelawareNovember 2017 - Things changed, and I moved to Washington State. Had a lawyer register the business in WA, but haven't closed it out in TX yet. So now it's registered both in TX and WA.I was going to close it out in TX, but now things have changed and I have to move back to Texas. I would like to keep therefore close it out in WA instead, and just keep Texas.Problem is the address I had in Texas is being forwarded to the temp address in DE till August. And now it's registered in WA too.What would be the best option
1. put the Delaware address even though it's not registered in Delaware?
2. Leave the Texas address and hope anything gets forward to me until July and file a change of address later?
3. Put the WA address?Not sure what the federal vs the states care about. A little complicated, but want to make sure I'm not getting myself fined for doing something silly.Thanks!
3/6/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you very much for requesting for my assistance.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

What would be the best option

Response 1: No.

Response 2: Yes. However, you should go to the Post Office and stop the mail forwarding. You do not have to wait till July to do this.

3. Put the WA address?

Response 3: No. Texas address is your best option. Also, if you did register the business again in WA, it should be registered as a foreign LLC since the business was originally registered in Texas and the Texas business is still active. You did not need to register a brand new business in WA. That's what a foreign designation means. The business is already registered in another State. However, you need to register the business again in another State to transact business in that State. However, the business is not a new business. It is an existing business with the foreign registration to comply with each State's requirements for businesses to register in order to conduct business in that particular State. The business main address would be the address where the business was first registered.

Goodluck with your business,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thanks again. My understanding was that I was converting to a WA business, but then I was told it's still registered in Texas and I have to close it out there and now I'm registered in both states. I never did sign the conversion documents, so it's in limbo. I would have to file my final returns and get a certificate of good standing before closing it down, I was told. If I never do that, then I'm still good in Texas right? And I can close out the Washington registration? I got an official certificate of formation in Washington already, but never closed down Texas. Happy to provide another 5 star review for all your help

Thank you for the information:

Thanks again. My understanding was that I was converting to a WA business, but then I was told it's still registered in Texas and I have to close it out there and now I'm registered in both states. I never did sign the conversion documents, so it's in limbo. I would have to file my final returns and get a certificate of good standing before closing it down, I was told. If I never do that, then I'm still good in Texas right?

Response 1: Yes, that is correct.

And I can close out the Washington registration?

Response 2: That is correct.

I got an official certificate of formation in Washington already, but never closed down Texas. Happy to provide another 5 star review for all your help

Response 3: You are quite Welcome!

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law