Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

We are a new Class I medical device and are setting up our…

We are a new...

We are a new Class I medical device and are setting up our Ecommerce website for customers to place orders. The product is listed as prescription only, and thus only registered clinicians are allowed to order it. What process must we follow to allow clinicins to purchase our product?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Our company is registered with the FDA as a Class I device.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No - we assume that they would have to put in their medical license # (NPI #). But are we required to?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello - is someone working on my question?
Answered in 6 days by:
3/12/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney

The clinician would have to put in their furnishing number (which gives them the right to prescribe). Once the clinician puts in the number, he can place the order.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that a requirment of the FDA? Because of the prescription? If we were to remove the prescription status (device is Class I exempt), can we then remove the NPI # to order?

No, it's not FDA required. You can remove the prescription status, then you don't need to collect the NPI.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! Yes, that is what we decided after speaking to several sources.
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney