Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am a small online retail shop that sells handcrafted

Hi, I am a small online...
I am a small online retail shop that sells handcrafted items.
I have a situation that I do not know how to proceed with.
In December of 2017 a buyer purchased a handcrafted made to order wooden chest.
The item was crafted for the order and shipped to the buyer via USPS.
The total sale was for $467.65. This included shipping.
It was shipped to the address that the buyer provided on the website in checkout.The Chest was shipped and tracked USPS and USPS states the chest was delivered to the address provided by the buyer. USPS website states:Status
Delivered
January 22, 2018 at 1:39 pmDelivered, Left with IndividualFAIRBANKS, AK 99701The buyer contacted his credit card company while the product was in transit and claimed he did not receive it which in return caused a charge back to me.
I process all my sales through Paypal, both PayPal sales as well as credit card sales.
When the charge back occurred it created a negative balance in my PayPal account.
I contacted PayPal about the situation and provided the tracking information showing that the package was delivered.
The 1st conversation I had with their representative was that the funds would be placed back into my within 24 hours as I was able to provided the information that showed I did send the product and the buyer received it.I waited the 24 hours and the funds were not placed back into my account so I called again and was told they could not do this , they needed to contact the bank to which the buyers credit card was issued and file a claim with them. They told me that this process could take up to 75 days for the bank to release the funds back to me after showing the product was received.After hearing this I asked for the banking information so that I as the seller could contact the bank and fax them all necessary information needed to prove that the item had been delivered. I was refused this information by Paypal.I then contacted the buyer via Phone and spoke with him and he apologized for the confusion and would contact his bank and tell them to close the case and release the money back to me.
I waited a week to se if PayPal had released the funds back to my account and they did not.
I then called then once again and they told me that they had received no information from the bank in regard to this.I then contacted the seller once again and he was rather nasty about the whole situation.
After speaking to him it made me feel that he had scammed me and the credit card company and never made the call even after acknowledging that he has the chest in his possession and that it was a gift for his wife and she loved it.I then contacted USPS to see what they could do about this for me and was told they could do nothing.
I contacted the State Police in Alaska and spoke with them and they said they could do nothing even though the buyer now was technically in possession of stolen goods.PayPal will do nothing for me, and has now sent my account with them to a collection company as they want me to place an additional $468.00 into my PayPal account to remove the negative balance.
I do not have this kind of money to just put back into the account as I have already love $468.00 because of this scam.
It is now ruining my credit because of this.I really need help to get my money back and have the negative mark on my credit report removed.
What do I do now? How to I proceed with this?Thank you for your time.
Donna
Answered in 2 days by:
3/7/2018
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

You could contact the buyer and let him know that you're going to send this to collections which will impact HIS credit. Sometimes that tends to move things along. In certain states - those with one party consent laws - if you record the phone conversation in which the customers states he HAS the chest in his possession you can frequently use THAT with the credit card company and/or paypal.

Paypal will not allow me the information to contact the buyers credit card company, I have the information from the buyer as to the credit card company he used for the transaction but when I tried to contact them directly I was told they will not speak to me.
As for recording the conversation I do believe that in the state of PA it is not legal
how can I get paypal to drop the collections against me for a negative in my account even after they clearly know that the parcel was received by the buyer
How can I send it to collections when the buyer is stating he did not receive it?

You have a document from the mail service stating it was delivered. You don't need more for collections...

Frankly, all you need is your own statement that it was delivered... since you're hiring the collection agent. You don't need to "prove" anything to anyone.

You can't "get" paypal to drop the collections against you since in their eyes it is valid - but you can continue to contact paypal with your statements that it was delivered and with your proof of delivery.

Ok thank you, ***** ***** find a collection agency that can handle this.
Now how do I handle PayPal so they stop the collections against me?

So, you sort of see how collections works... in the same way that you would get a collections agency to reach out to the customer... paypal is doing the same with you. There's really no good way to stop the collections. You just want to make sure that the collections agents don't violate the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act with threatening/harassing/intimidating messages/actions since those would be in violation of the law. Please let me know if that answers your questions. If I have, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent