Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a question about self directed IRA's. I'm trying to…

I have a question about...
I have a question about self directed IRA's.
I'm trying to open a self directed IRA with an IRA custodian.
for the past 20 years I've used a UPS Store mail box as my address. It's on my driver license. If I move my residence or travel for extended periods I always have a valid address.The custodian is saying they won't accept a UPS store box as my address, but they would accept my office address.
So they told me to put my office address on my driver license and reapply.I don't think they are correct. I think the UPS store box is a valid physical address. My mailbox counts as a physical address. I understand a PO Box does not. The government restricts this ability, but UPS advertises a mail box with them is a valid, legal bona fide street address. They even accept service of process.So how do I convince the IRA custodian to accept my ups store address?
2/16/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney

The UPS store is a valid address and you can use it for legal purposes such as this, because the test is whether the UPS store will accept legal papers on your behalf if someone wants to serve legal papers, and the answer is YES. A post office box does not work because they will not accept papers, but a UPS store is allowed, so yes, you are correct.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney