Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

If we want to file suit against Google for not taking

something down from one of...
If we want to file suit against Google for not taking something down from one of their platforms, could we file locally, in Maryland, because Google has customers in Maryland. Or, would we be forced to file in their home State of California. Please provide the address, if you can readily find it, of the proper contact for Google's legal.We completed an online form but have not heard back from Google.
2/15/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Google uses Corporation Service Company (or “CSC”) to receive all legal service. The CSC office in California is located at the following address:
Corporation Service Company
2710 Gateway Oaks Drive, Suite 150N
Sacramento, CA 95833

However, you can serve them at their Maryland CSC office as well as you can sue them in Maryland since they avail themselves of doing business in Maryland. You can find the MD office of CSC

CSC-Lawyers Incorporating Service Company
7 St. Paul Street, Suite 820
Baltimore, MD 21202

Because they do avail themselves of doing business and targeting business in MD, you can sue them in MD.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Hi, thanks. I was looking for other suits that Google has been a party to, especially in Maryland. This is related to apps in their Google Play store that are using our trademark and we want them removed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your reply.

We cannot do case law research I am afraid, the cost of such research in time and access to the databases is well beyond the scope of this service. You can access the case law databases for free in the courthouse law library, but we attorneys have to pay about $160 per hour for office access.

You also have to sue the creators of the apps for trademark infringement, since google is not responsible just for the publishing on their app store, you have to pursue the actual trademark infringer first under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the other internet intellectual property laws. In other words until you have a court action finding trademark or copyright infringement against the app developer, the website advertising the app is not liable to you.

Got it. Thanks. They are in Vietnam but are selling on the Google Platform. So I guess I get their Vietnamese name and use that, asking the court to grant an injunction and then use that to present to Google.

Thank you for your reply.

You can sue them in US District Court for copyright/trademark infringement since the infringement is occurring here in the US and you can get the court order here and get an injunction.

.