Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can a person sue a small company if it is a corporation,

Can a person sue...

Can a person sue a small company if it is a corporation, rather than an LLC?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, no contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well, I guess, if the answer is yes, if the business ceased trading, could any legal action be taken against the owner as an individual, rather than a company?

2/13/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, a person can sue a corporation, S corp or LLC, they are all corporate entities and they are all considered to be capable of being sued. Their owners are not personally liable for damages, so you have to sue the corporate entity directly as the owners are protected by the corporate veil.

If the business ceased operation, you still need to sue the business and hope they had assets remaining. If they do not have assets remaining and you can prove that the owner improperly dissolved the company, then the owner could actually be personally liable for the company debt.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

if a person was working for a company on a trial basis and being paid cash, and due to their own negligent actions, were injured on the job, they could legally sue the company and if that company ceased trading due to retirement, they could then sue the owner?

Thank you for your reply.

You have to sue the company and then if you win the claim you can ask the court to hold the owner liable upon you proving they did not properly close the company in accordance with the law.

Ely, Attorney
Phone call session started
Is it possible to ask Lance J one more quick question?