Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Llc. California. Opened llc. I am a non resident allien

llc Lawyer's Assistant: What...

llc

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Opened llc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a non resident allien

I am a non resident allien and have opened an LLC company in california. have EIN number as well. I have my personal bank account with wells fargo. Can i use my personal bank account for business use?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Also, I am not able to get a business bank account because I dnt have a resident status here. Can i sign on bank documents as a US person?
2/9/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The primary reason many people choose to open an LLC is that it comes with limited liability. In order to keep limited liability, it's necessary to keep your personal and business accounts 100% separate. Business accounts must be titled in the name of the company. All business expenses - and no personal expenses - must be paid out of that account (or another business account). Similarly, you cannot use your personal account to buy items for the business. Money should not be freely transferred between the two. It's OK to loan the business money (as long as the business repays it) or to pay yourself a salary, but otherwise, the accounts should not be connected.

It's difficult to answer your second question without seeing the specific bank documents you're talking about, but generally, it wouldn't be legal to put on a legal document that you're a US citizen or resident when you're not. The *business* is a U.S. person, though. There aren't laws that prohibit foreign entities from maintaining U.S. bank accounts. Since you're registered in California, you should be able to open an account unless you're from a prohibited country. You may want to ask the bank to review exactly what the problem is, or check with other banks to see what their requirements are. Some banks will open a "personal" account in a business's name, and that might resolve the issue.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know without choosing a rating. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Hi Thank you for your response. What i want to know is. under the law can i use my personal account for business use?
or is there a law that prohibits the use of personal account for business purpose?

The LLC is a separate legal entity. It's not part of you. The LLC's name would have to be on the account before you could use it to accept deposits for the business. You can use your personal account to pay business expenses to anyone who will accept a personal check instead of a business check.

But what I've explained above is why it can backfire horribly and cost people a lot of money to use a personal account for an LLC. You can do it, but it's important that you understand the potential consequences.

Got it thank you.

You're welcome. Have a good day.

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
One last question. I want to hire a contractor in India to manage all parts of my business (marketing-sales-service) and I pay flat % for that. Can you help me create that agreement?

I'm afraid that drafting contracts is beyond the scope of this site. A local business attorney should be able to help you with that.