Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can a large corporate entity shield itself from allegations…

Can a large corporate entity...
Can a large corporate entity shield itself from allegations that it intentionally failed to preserve electronic data? Please explain. In addition, with cyberspace crime who has jurisdiction in the matter?
1/28/2018
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

In what context does the failure to preserve records arise? Why do you think failing to preserve such records would be a crime in your situation?

I only want your interpretation. This is for a project I’m doing.

Unless the corporation is involved in litigation and the documents destroyed relate to the litigation, there is no obligation for a corporation to retain records for any period of time unless required by law. Most companies have a document retention policy under which they routinely destroy or dispose of records after a period of time. As for jurisdiction of such issues, in the litigation context the court in which the litigation is proceeding would have jurisdiction. If there is a specific federal statute the U.S. Attorney could bring an action wherever the company was headquartered. If it is a state statute, on records generated in that state or maintained in that state would be effected by the law.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Richard - Bizlaw