Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

If a lawyer hired by a CEO and board comes to realize that…

If a lawyer hired by...
If a lawyer hired by a CEO and board comes to realize that the CEO and board are conducting a conspiracy to defraud shareholders (or the members in the case of a membership-based nonprofit corporation) what are the things the lawyer may do, must do and must not do per the law and ABA ethics standards?
1/22/2018
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

So sorry to hear this.

Illinois law:

"RULE 1.13: ORGANIZATION AS CLIENT

(a) A lawyer employed or retained by an organization represents the organization acting through its duly authorized constituents.

(b) If a lawyer for an organization knows that an officer, employee or other person associated with the organization is engaged in action, intends to act or refuses to act in a matter related to the representation that is a violation of a legal obligation to the organization, or a crime, fraud or other violation of law that reasonably might be imputed to the organization, and that is likely to result in substantial injury to the organization, then the lawyer shall proceed as is reasonably necessary in the best interest of the organization. Unless the lawyer reasonably believes that it is not necessary in the best interest of the organization to do so, the lawyer shall refer the matter to higher authority in the organization, including, if warranted by the circumstances, to the highest authority that can act on behalf of the organization as determined by applicable law.

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d), if

(1) despite the lawyer’s efforts in accordance with paragraph (b) the highest authority that can act on behalf of the organization insists upon or fails to address in a timely and appropriate manner an action or a refusal to act, that is clearly a crime or fraud, and

(2) the lawyer reasonably believes that the crime or fraud is reasonably certain to result in substantial injury to the organization,

then the lawyer may reveal information relating to the representation whether or not Rule 1.6 permits such disclosure, but only if and to the extent the lawyer reasonably believes necessary to prevent substantial injury to the organization.

(d) Paragraph (c) shall not apply with respect to information relating to a lawyer’s representation of an organization to investigate an alleged crime, fraud or other violation of law, or to defend the organization or an officer, employee or other constituent associated with the organization against a claim arising out of an alleged crime, fraud or other violation of law.

(e) A lawyer who reasonably believes that he or she has been discharged because of the lawyer’s actions taken pursuant to paragraphs (b) or (c), or who withdraws under circumstances that require or permit the lawyer to take action under either of those paragraphs, shall proceed as the lawyer reasonably believes necessary to assure that the organization’s highest authority is informed of the lawyer’s discharge or withdrawal.

(f) In dealing with an organization’s directors, officers, employees, members, shareholders or other constituents, a lawyer shall explain the identity of the client when the lawyer knows or reasonably should know that the organization’s interests are adverse to those of the constituents with whom the lawyer is dealing.

(g) A lawyer representing an organization may also represent any of its directors, officers, employees, members, shareholders or other constituents, subject to the provisions of Rule 1.7. If the organization’s consent to the dual representation is required by Rule 1.7, the consent shall be given by an appropriate official of the organization other than the individual who is to be represented, or by the shareholders.

Adopted July 1, 2009, effective January 1, 2010.

Comment

The Entity as the Client

[1] An organizational client is a legal entity, but it cannot act except through its officers, directors, employees, shareholders and other constituents. Officers, directors, employees and shareholders are the constituents of the corporate organizational client. The duties defined in this Comment apply equally to unincorporated associations. “Other constituents” as used in this Comment means the positions equivalent to officers, directors, employees and shareholders held by persons acting for organizational clients that are not corporations.

[2] When one of the constituents of an organizational client communicates with the organization’s lawyer in that person’s organizational capacity, the communication is protected by Rule 1.6. Thus, by way of example, if an organizational client requests its lawyer to investigate allegations of wrongdoing, interviews made in the course of that investigation between the lawyer and the client’s employees or other constituents are covered by Rule 1.6. This does not mean, however, that constituents of an organizational client are the clients of the lawyer. The lawyer may not disclose to such constituents information relating to the representation except for disclosures explicitly or impliedly authorized by the organizational client in order to carry out the representation or as otherwise permitted by Rule 1.6.

[3] When constituents of the organization make decisions for it, the decisions ordinarily must be accepted by the lawyer even if their utility or prudence is doubtful. Decisions concerning policy and operations, including ones entailing serious risk, are not as such in the lawyer’s province. Paragraph (b) makes clear, however, that when the lawyer knows that the organization is likely to be substantially injured by action of an officer or other constituent that violates a legal obligation to the organization or is a crime, fraud or other violation of law that might be imputed to the organization, the lawyer must proceed as is reasonably necessary in the best interest of the organization. As defined in Rule 1.0(f), knowledge can be inferred from circumstances, and a lawyer cannot ignore the obvious.

[4] In determining how to proceed under paragraph (b), the lawyer should give due consideration to the seriousness of the misconduct and its consequences, the responsibility in the organization and the apparent motivation of those involved, the policies of the organization concerning such matters, and any other relevant considerations. Ordinarily, referral to a higher authority would be necessary. In some circumstances, however, it may be appropriate for the lawyer to ask the constituent to reconsider the matter; for example, if the circumstances involve a constituent’s innocent misunderstanding of law and subsequent acceptance of the lawyer’s advice, the lawyer may reasonably conclude that the best interest of the organization does not require that the matter be referred to higher authority. If a constituent persists in conduct contrary to the lawyer’s advice, it will be necessary for the lawyer to take steps to have the matter reviewed by a higher authority in the organization. If the matter is of sufficient seriousness and importance or urgency to the organization, referral to higher authority in the organization may be necessary even if the lawyer has not communicated with the constituent. Any measures taken should, to the extent practicable, minimize the risk of revealing information relating to the representation to persons outside the organization. Even in circumstances where a lawyer is not obligated by Rule 1.13 to proceed, a lawyer may bring to the attention of an organizational client, including its highest authority, matters that the lawyer reasonably believes to be of sufficient importance to warrant doing so in the best interest of the organization.

[5] Paragraph (b) also makes clear that when it is reasonably necessary to enable the organization to address the matter in a timely and appropriate manner, the lawyer must refer the matter to higher authority, including, if warranted by the circumstances, the highest authority that can act on behalf of the organization under applicable law. The organization’s highest authority to whom a matter may be referred ordinarily will be the board of directors or similar governing body. However, applicable law may prescribe that under certain conditions the highest authority reposes elsewhere, for example, in the independent directors of a corporation."

It sounds like you must first tell the CEO and board IN WRITING to stop this, and if they fail to do so, report it to the shareholders (the owners and thus the highest authority since they can appoint and remove directors and usually also officers) and to law enforcement if appropriate. It's a sticky situation, as you can see from the Rule and the Comments. Please visit the page I linked to and then let me know if you still have questions. You should also be aware of this.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Most of this is articulated in what a lawyer "may do" on once do I see what a lawyer "shall" do. Is there anything on what a lawyer "must not" do? That is, a lawyer must not become an actor in, or even complicit via silence in a scheme that in which the CEO and/or board is "engaged in action, intends to act or refuses to act in a matter related to the representation that is a violation of a legal obligation to the organization, or a crime, fraud or other violation of law that reasonably might be imputed to the organization, and that is likely to result in substantial injury to the organization"?Also in a membership organization when a lawyer may not know any other members other than the CEO and board, who is a next highest authority? The attorney general of the state of corporate registration?

Thank you very much for the great rating!

Do the member get to vote for officers and directors? I take it this organization does not have traditional shareholders.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it has members that do have the right to vote for officers and directors. The organization is an NC nonprofit corporation and I think from reading of statute and relevant case law it is safe to infer the equivalence of shareholder and member. I get that from SOX as well.In fact this issue at hand comes from an incident involving voting for officers and directors. The CEO and other directors created a chaotic situation that delayed the elections with the effect of preserving themselves in office, all in violation of the corporaton's bylaws; and the lawyer they hired basically helped them pull it off. Instead of really representing the corporation he became an actor in the scheme and really should have known better.

Any member can challenge the election by filing a quo warranto action, alleging the dirctors were not lawfully installed. The Whistleblower Protection Act should protect you if you report this to the AG.

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney