Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I need help in setting up my business. and my wife is

I need help in setting...
I need help in setting up my business. I am American and my wife is French. We live in Alabama. We plan on establishing a .fr (French) website and sell products from the .fr website (to French speaking people) for a US manufacturer. We eventually plan on moving to France. Given we don't currently live in France, we plan on setting up a legal proxy/trustee arrangement to allow us to operate the .fr website.What business arrangement is required to establish in order to set up this company? It's my understanding we will only have to pay French taxes?
Answered in 1 day by:
1/21/2018
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is Richard-Bizlaw and I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

I do not know what you mean by a proxy/trustee arranagement? Will you be operating from the U.S.?

initially we will be operating in the US until we move to France. The proxy/trustee agreement, as I understand it, allows someone in that lives in the US to own/operate a .fr domain. Some companies that sell domain names provide these services. Not exactly sure how it works, but the domain provider has contacts with law offices in subject country (France in my case), and an arrangement is made to allow using their French address while I still maintain control over the .fr domain
101domain.com
Many country-based registries do not assign domain names the same way, and may require a "local presence" or "proxy service". This means registration could require a company to be located in the particular country, or may require an administrative contact with a physical address in that particular country. The 101domain Trustee Service is all-inclusive and provides the flexibility needed to register domains in any country of the world.101domain can provide a local contact for many of the countries that include this type of requirement and can also help with the registration. Since 1999, 101domain has continually grown and expanded not only it's own local presence worldwide, but also its network of trustees, and now has a substantial list of reliable and trusted partners including IP firms and other legal professionals in many countries.

You have to decide where you want to form your country that will operate under the domain name. I can't advise you on French law so I do not know if you are better served forming your company in France since that is where you will end up. HOwever, if you do you will still have to qualify your company in the state in the U.S. from which you will conduct operations. You will have to pay federal and state taxes bassed on where you operate from. Once you relocate to FRance, you can withdraw your registration if you are organized in France and cease paying U.S. taxes.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney