Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Need advice from an attorney I owe American Express money…

Need advice from an attorney...
Need advice from an attorney I owe American Express money and they have hired an attorney and I am told that I am being sued but that they would still like to work with me. Just shortly after the phone call I noticed that we got a few letters from other attorneys as an advertisement stating that they would like to represent us because a suit has been filed against me by American Express and that it had been filed in the Dallas County Clerk's office. How serious is this? I am currently seeking employment and I would hate for this to keep me from getting a job. Please advise. Is this a situation that they may be willing to work with us on? I only stop paying them because I lost my job in December last month. Before that I have been good for the last year. Also, I have other property - a 2nd home. Is it at risk? I do need a job and I want to do my best to pay everyone I owe money. Your feedback appreciated.
1/19/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You can negotiate with the lawyer for the plaintiff, and often can get a discount and payment plan, especially for hardship.

If you cannot settle, and they win in court and get a judgment they could try to lien and even foreclose on property, so definitely recommend seeking to settle, which is how most such cases resolve by settlement before or in court.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

What about my question concerning employment? Will this filing in Dallas County Clerk office affect my ability to get employment? Also, how long do situations like this last in general?

It will not.

If you settle it can end in a matter of days. if it goes to court, several months, but either way such cases regularly settle with payment plans and no issues.

I would not be concerned.

Good luck. Kindly rate me 5 stars

Infolawyer, Attorney